Skip to main navigation.

Generator Safety

Transfer Switches

Any generator connected to house wiring must have a transfer switch. A transfer switch isolates the generator from the power lines to prevent the possibility of backfeeding. If the generator is connected to your house wiring and the transfer switch is not properly installed, it can be deadly for a lineman working on the power lines.

Check with a licensed electrician or the state electrical inspector to see what types of switches are allowed in your area and for your situation. Always have your transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician.

Carbon Monoxide

Never use a generator indoors. Burning fuel produces carbon monoxide which can be deadly. Only operate the generator in a well-ventilated area.

Extension Cords

Excessive voltage drop may occur if the extension cord connected to the appliance is too long, or the wires are too small. The longer the cord, the bigger the wires need to be. If the extension cord becomes warm during use, it is inadequate and poses a fire danger. A heavy duty 12AWG cord is recommended for most applications.

Other Safety Information

Electric motors require extra power on startup. Do not overload the generator’s electrical capacity.

Never add fuel to a generator while it is running.



Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo